Saturday, April 21, 2012

Story Theater and Puppet Show Script: Father Rat Finds a Midwife


Father Rat Finds a Midwife
A Filipino Folk story
Taken from: Tales From the 7,000 Ilses: Filipino Folk Stories, ABC CLIO 2011
By Dianne de Las Casas & Zarah C. Gagatiga

Story Theater and Puppet Show Script*


Storyteller: Mother Rat was pregnant. She called for her husband. Father Rat came
running to her side.

Mother Rat: Get me a midwife! It’s going to be quadruplets!

Father Rat: What does a midwife look like?

Mother Rat: A midwife has a gentle face and a tender voice. She would not a hurt a mother like me.

Storyteller: Father Rat searched for a midwife. Down the road, he met Dog.

Dog: Mr. Rat, how may I help you?

Father Rat: I am looking for a midwife. My wife will give birth soon.

Dog: I may be able to help. Arf! Arf!

Storyteller: Mr. Rat listened to Dog and looked at his floppy ears and big nose. Father Rat knew Dog was not the midwife he was looking for. So, he ran down the road and in a corner, met Cow.

Cow: Mr. Rat, how may I help you?

Father Rat: I am looking for a midwife. My wife will give birth soon.

Cow: I may be able to help. Mooo! Mooo!

Storyteller: Mr. Rat listened at Cow’s deep bellowing voice and looked at his horns and huge belly. Father Rat knew Cow was not the midwife he was looking for. So, he ran down the road and in a corner, met Cat.

Cat: Mr. Rat, how may I help you?

Mr. Rat: I am looking for a midwife. My wife will give birth soon.

Cat: I may be able to help. Meow! Meow!

Storyteller: Mr. Rat listened at Cat’s tender mewing. She had a gentle smile in her face and Father Rat knew Cat was the midwife he was looking for. So, he brought Cat to Mother Rat. She was a gentle and tender midwife indeed. She helped her give birth to four little baby rats.

Cat: Go get me some water, Mr. Rat. The little rats need some washing.

Storyteller: Father Rat did what he was told but when he came back, his wife and four babies were gone. There was only the faint smell of a well-fed Cat. Since then, cats and rats have become mortal enemies.

*This storytelling script for story theater and puppetry is inspired by storytelling performances of Dianne de Las Casas

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...