Sunday, November 27, 2016

Book Review: Issued to the Bride: One Navy SEAL

Issued to the Bride: One Navy SEAL (Brides of Chance Creek #1)Issued to the Bride: One Navy SEAL by Cora Seton

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Issued to the Bride: One Navy SEAL is the first book of a new series by Cora Seton that has a lot of heart, just enough magic to tickle your romantic, and a complicated old man who, I am excited to see, will pull through some surprises as the series unfold.

What worked for me

Going back to Chance Creek is like visiting old friends from way back. I have read three series by Cora Seton and by now, I can comfortably predict her plot lines and casually identify with her characters. There is the hesitant or unsure female lead laden with baggage from the past; the alpha male who has gone full circle and is on the path to rebuild his life; an array of supporting characters that move the lead characters into action as well as lending a layer of conflict and exciting dynamics to the plot; villains who get what they deserve; and favorite characters from previous books in the series.

I am on a familiar ground. Not complaining, as I have invested so much on the first series, the Cowboys of Chance Creek. So meeting Cab and Rose again, is a delight. But in this initial book to the series, Brides of Chance Creek, Issued to the Bride: One Navy SEAL, I gathered an insight on the role that men and women play in the family and in the society at large.

I have always believed that women are strong yet, delicate. As a mother, I once told my daughter this: that women are not weak. We have the great capacity to accommodate another life in our beings, in our souls. Thus, the men in our lives have a great role to protect and keep us safe. But as things go in society and in the world, conflict happens and war breaks out. As things go with people, men and women are imperfect. So, we struggle. We try to keep our best to balance and even things out the best way possible.

Cass and her sisters have been terribly fooled by irresponsible men. Without a father for so long, the sisters were easy prey to people who mean them harm. Brian's presence in the ranch allows a modicum of security and protection. This is not to say that Cass and her sisters have been weak or stupid. They are in fact, smart and kind, beautiful and full of talents. But, I admit, they need a man who will respect them for what they can do and who will value their relevance to the family and to the community they belong to. The message of this book to me is this: treat women well; respect them; value them; work along side them in the farm; in the factories, in offices, support them in all their good endeavors even if it means running for public office; and yes, be honest with them when they are about to fail; call them out when they are going out of line. Love them!

Men, love the women in your lives! If this happens more, then, world peace is a dream that can be fulfilled.

As for the women, know how to value this love and honor the men who love you.

What did not work for me

It's a small thing, but, I'll say it anyway. I just wish Cass is not as young as she is compared to Brian.

I enjoyed reading this new book as the first installment in the new series. I look forward to the love story of Connor and Sadie.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...